New Jeddah port terminal opened officially
Jeddah, April 22, 2012
Red Sea Gateway Terminal (RSGT), the new container terminal at Jeddah Islamic Port, was officially inaugurated yesterday. It is the first privately funded, build operate and transfer (BOT) port development in Saudi Arabia.
The terminal was opened by Dr Jabara bin Eid Suraiseri, Minister of Transport and chairman of the Saudi Port Authority, and Engineer Abdulaziz Al Twaijri, CEO of the Saudi Port Authority.
The world-class terminal is spearheaded by the Saudi Industrial Services group SISCO,.
The fully automated terminal situated within Jeddah Islamic port and covering over 500,000 sq m. It sports intelligent design and layout, cutting-edge technologies and value-added logistics capabilities; ensuring efficiency within the whole supply chain. It increases the terminal's capacity by 45 per cent.
“World trade is expanding and as a result, the container handling infrastructure in which we specialise will assume an increasingly larger role and importance in the global economy,” said RSGT chairman Sheikh Mohamed Ahmed Zainal Alireza.
RSGT boasts a dedicated deep water navigation channel able to take vessels with a draft up to 16.5 m, can handle the next generation of Triple E Class of mega vessels of 18,000+ TEU (Twenty foot equivalent).
RSGT, which has been operational since December 22, 2009, has celebrated a number of remarkable achievements. They include the berthing of its first mega vessel, the 14,777 TEU CSCL Star in 2011; the highest productivity figures in the region and a handling volume of 1m TEU in 2011 which accounted for 25 per cent of JIP’s volume. - TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Maritime courses draw more trainees
- Dow to showcase at Dubai coatings expo
- UAE aluminium sector backs Syria refugees
- Asry in big vessel repair milestone
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai
- GPIC wins key IFA certification
- Gulf rules must aid e-commerce: Aramex
- Gulftainer expands 2013 ops by 50pc
- DMCA to take part in Dubai boat show
- Al Namal to launch eco-friendly chillers
- Abu Dhabi city ports to receive facelift
- Kuwait Styrene posts $180m net profit
- Drydocks set for key energy event
- Aramex launches new address check system
- Toshiba in green push at Bahrain expo
- Equate net profit surges 14pc to $1.2bn
- Shaikh Daij named new Alba chairman
- Al Abbas wins logistics rights to Sudan