DP World to deploy top operating system
Dubai, September 25, 2012
DP World, UAE Region has signed an agreement with CyberLogitec, a Korea-based IT company specialised in maritime and logistics industry, to deploy its Opus terminal operating system (TOS) at Terminal 3 in Jebel Ali.
The mega container terminal 3 at Jebel Ali, the award-winning flagship container port operated by DP World, UAE Region, is currently under development.
Container Terminal 3, with a quay length of 1,860 m, a draft of 17 m and a 70 hectare storage yard, will be equipped with 19 ship to shore (STS) quay cranes and 50 rail mounted gantry (RMG) cranes.
Jebel Ali will install the TOS technology to run its new terminal as part of plans to expand container handling capacity at the port to 19 million TEU (twenty-foot equivalent unit) by 2014.
The terminal 3, which when completed will add 4 million TEU in additional capacity to Jebel Ali, said a top DP official.
"The innovative technology we have in place in Jebel Ali is designed to ease congestion across the port area, from the berths to the gates," remarked Mohammed Al Muallem, the senior VP and managing director, DP World, UAE Region.
"The TOS we have ordered will make Terminal 3 one of the most efficient container terminals anywhere, as our flagship port Jebel Ali continues to lead the region in adopting technology to drive growth," he stated.
Mohammed Ali Ahmed, the chief operations officer, said, "DP World understands that constant investment in cutting-edge technology is the answer to sustainable business growth in this age of the Internet."
"Our continuing focus is to ensure that our business is well prepared to respond to the immediate needs of our customers, whether that is in reliability, additional capacity at existing ports or reducing turnaround time of vessels," he added.
Jang-Rim Choi, the CEO of CyberLogitec, said, "Based on our strong co-operative relations and trust built in the automated terminal project in Pusan New Port terminal, we are confident that Opus Terminal will contribute to the world leading competitiveness of Jebel Ali Terminal 3 as the best of its kind in the Middle East."
In taking a customer-centric approach, DP World is building on the established relationships and superior level of service demonstrated at its flagship Jebel Ali facility in Dubai, which has been voted “Best Seaport in the Middle East” for 18consecutive years.
In the first six months of 2012 DP World, UAE Region, of which Jebel Ali is the leading facility, handled 6.6 million TEU, 7.3 per cent ahead of the same period last year.
DP World chairman Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem, vice chairman Jamal Majid Bin Thaniah, the Group CEO Mohammed Sharaf and Mohammed Al Muallem, senior VP and managing director, DP World, UAE Region, attended the signing ceremony in Jebel Ali.
Besides Choi, CyberLogitec was represented by its terminal business unit senior VP Jason Hyeon and director of Global Sales Paul Bourke.-TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Gulf Marine Services makes muted London debut
- Emal to supply molten aluminium to Ducab unit
- Ducab acquires British cable firm
- Emirates SkyCargo wins top awards
- Bayer opens new coatings, adhesives lab in Dubai
- Chep Aerospace unveils new ULD mobile app
- Cargo summit calls for cut in transit times
- Dubai bus fare cheapest among top cities
- DHL Express boosts Mideast fleet
- DNV to re-certifiy Drydocks World services
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Non-oil sectors ‘biggest contributors to UAE economy’
- Alba educates customers on best practices
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Maritime courses draw more trainees
- Dow to showcase at Dubai coatings expo
- UAE aluminium sector backs Syria refugees
- Asry in big vessel repair milestone
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV