Schumacher cancels F1 return
London, August 11, 2009
Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher has cancelled his plans to return to Formula One because of fitness concerns, the German driver said on Tuesday.
"I really tried everything to make that temporary comeback possible, however, much to my regret it didn't work out," he said in a statement on his website.
"Unfortunately we did not manage to get a grip on the pain in the neck which occurred after the private F1-day in Mugello, even if medically or therapeutically we tried everything possible."
Schumacher, 40, had been expected to drive for Ferrari at the European Grand Prix at Valencia on August 23, standing in for Felipe Massa as the Brazilian recovers from a fractured skull. - Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- EU scraps duty on jet fuel imports
- Tech giants call for more controls on surveillance
- Thai PM dissolves parliament, calls snap polls
- Arabs seek nuclear arms-free Middle East
- Anti-Russia protests rage in Ukraine, Stalin statue felled
- SAfricans remember Mandela with praise, prayers
- UN inspectors visit key Iran nuke site
- Ice storm causes blackouts, flight delays in US
- Ruling Congress party punished in India polls
- US proposes annual GCC defence summit