'Deperate Housewives' shutting down in May 2012
Los Angeles, August 6, 2011
“Desperate Housewives'' will wrap up its run after eight seasons, TheWrap has confirmed.
Viewers will be forced to bid farewell to Wisteria Lane in May 2012, according to an individual with knowledge of the situation.
The end of the chronicle of suburban back-stabbing, intrigue and scandal had been expected to make it to nine seasons, making ABC's decision something of a surprise.
Though still a consistent performer, ratings had slipped in the most recent season and critics have griped that the series has lost its creative spark.
“Desperate Housewives”' creator Marc Cherry has already stepped down as the showrunner to develop other programs, although he will serve as a consultant throughout the soap's final season.
An ABC spokesperson labeled reports of an end of the solidly rated drama as ``mostly speculation,'' but said the network would have more to say Sunday at the Television Critics Association's summer press tour. – Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- World Bank watching Fed, ready to respond
- Blast hits Syrian port of Latakia
- Asian business sentiment upbeat in Q2, says survey
- Lebanese minister accuses Syria of 'ethnic cleansing'
- US to meet Taliban to seek Afghan peace
- Taliban 'ready for Afghan peace talks'
- Assad says Europe will "pay price" if it arms rebels
- Putin faces isolation over Syria as G8 ups pressure
- US right to arm Syrian rebels, says Israeli president
- Putin, Obama face off over Syria issue