Blast hits Iran military base
Tehran, November 12, 2011
A huge explosion hit a military base to the west of the Iranian capital Tehran on Saturday, Iranian media reported, giving few initial details.
The semi-official Fars news agency carried a statement by the Revolutionary Guards which said the blast happened in an arsenal at a base in Bidganeh, near the city of Karaj.
Some people were killed, Fars said, without giving further details.
The student news agency ISNA quoted Alireza Janeh, head of security issues at the Tehran governor's office, as saying: 'The sound of this blast came from outside Tehran, to the west of the province ... it was in one of the military bases there.'
Earlier on Saturday, the Mehr news agency had reported a huge explosion at a compressed natural gas filling station in the west of the Tehran.
The explosion shattered the windows of residential neighbourhoods in the western suburbs of the capital city. The news agency however did not give any immediate word on casualties.-Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- EU scraps duty on jet fuel imports
- Tech giants call for more controls on surveillance
- Thai PM dissolves parliament, calls snap polls
- Arabs seek nuclear arms-free Middle East
- Anti-Russia protests rage in Ukraine, Stalin statue felled
- SAfricans remember Mandela with praise, prayers
- UN inspectors visit key Iran nuke site
- Ice storm causes blackouts, flight delays in US
- Ruling Congress party punished in India polls
- US proposes annual GCC defence summit