UK probes Apple iPad marketing over 4G access
London, April 8, 2012
Britain's advertising regulator is deciding whether to launch an inquiry into Apple's marketing of its latest iPad following what some customers said were misleading claims about access to 4G, which is not available in the country.
Fourth-generation or 4G technology enables users to access faster internet broadband services.
'We have received 24 complaints about claims on Apple's website about 4G on the iPad. We are assessing whether there are grounds for investigation,' a spokesman for the Advertising Standards Authority said on Saturday.
The company could not be reached for comment.
Apple has come up against a similar problem in Australia, whose consumer watchdog took legal action last month to ensure the company makes consumers aware that its latest version of the hand-held computer cannot connect to 4G in Australia, prompting Apple to offer refunds to all affected buyers in the country. – Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Tense Crimea votes on Russia referendum
- Libyan port rebels say ready for talks
- India puts on hold search for missing plane
- Alibaba plans US listing in third-quarter
- Lost airliner was diverted deliberately: Malaysian PM
- Saudi demands Qatar shut down Al Jazeera
- Labour stalwart Benn dies aged 88
- Bahrain boat show postponed over development work
- Korean steel maker Posco set for revamp
- Harsh winter hits US consumer sentiment
- Sanctions set as Russia presses on with Crimea takeover
- India inflation at nine-month low
- Missing plane: It's deliberate act says Malaysia PM
- Lost plane 'flown deliberately toward Andamans'
- Gold hits fresh six-month highs
- Iran not open for business, affirms Kerry
- Barclays 'to cut thousands of jobs'
- Jet sent 'pings' after going missing
- China premier warns on economic slowdown
- Gunmen fire on army bus in Cairo, 1 killed
- Lost jet 'may have flown for four hours'
- Gold up as Ukraine, China prompt safe-haven bids
- Search finds no sign of lost plane at suspect spot
- Missing jet may have strayed to Andaman
- Gold hits near 6-month high
- 2 killed in Manhattan building blast
- Cameron pushes for travel bans on Russian MPs
- Indian coastguards join Malaysia jet search
- Confusion as search for lost jet spreads
- Military denies lost plane's flight to Malacca