Two killed, 18 wounded in Beirut clashes
Beirut, May 21, 2012
Two people were killed and 18 wounded in overnight clashes in Beirut, Lebanon's National News Agency said on Monday, the latest bloodshed fuelled by tensions over the uprising in neighbouring Syria.
Fighters firing rocket-propelled grenades and machine guns clashed for most of the night in the Tariq al-Jadideh district of the Lebanese capital.
The violence followed the killing by Lebanese army soldiers in the north of the country on Sunday of two members of a political party opposed to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. – Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Gulf stocks surge as Fed tapering adds fuel to fire
- Swiss extend freeze on Arab Spring assets
- Court ruling paves way for Mubarak aide's return
- 500 killed as fighting intensifies in South Sudan
- Secret detention part of Syria 'terror campaign,' says UN
- Gold hits 6-month low after Fed stimulus trim
- One million Gazans in need of food aid says UN
- US Senate passes crucial budget deal
- Astra eyes $4.1bn Bristol diabetes venture stake
- EU agrees on blueprint to close failing banks