Syrian forces cleanse Haffeh of ‘terrorists’
Beirut, June 13, 2012
Syrian forces have cleared "terrorist" fighters from the town of Haffeh, state television said on Wednesday, after a week of heavy fighting which led the US to warn of a potential massacre.
Syrian television said the forces loyal to President Bashar Al-Assad had restored calm and security in Haffeh after they "cleansed it of armed terrorist groups", a term authorities use to describe rebels fighting Assad.
The rebels said on Tuesday they had withdrawn from Haffeh, under pressure of heavy bombardment. – Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Anti-Russia protests rage in Ukraine, Stalin statue felled
- SAfricans remember Mandela with praise, prayers
- UN inspectors visit key Iran nuke site
- Ice storm causes blackouts, flight delays in US
- Ruling Congress party punished in India polls
- US proposes annual GCC defence summit
- Iran eyes better UAE ties after nuke deal
- Blatter calls for calm over Qatar 2022 problems
- German factory orders fall 2 per cent
- US upbeat as jobless rate hits five-year low