Friday 7 August 2020
 
»
 
»
Story

Six-week lockdown in Melbourne

MELBOURNE, July 7, 2020

Australia's second largest city Melbourne will impose strict lockdown measures as authorities scramble to prevent a second wave of coronavirus infections spreading across the country.
 
Starting from 11:59 pm on Wednesday, residents in metropolitan Melbourne will no longer be allowed to leave their homes unless it's for grocery shopping, caregiving, exercise or work, Victoria State Premier Daniel Andrews announced on Tuesday, said a CNN report.
 
The measures, which are expected to remain in place for six weeks, come as the state of Victoria saw another record rise in daily coronavirus cases, with 191 new infections recorded for Tuesday. The state reported its previous high of 127 new cases on Monday.
 
"We know we're on the cusp of something very, very bad if we don't get on top of this," Andrews told reporters in Melbourne on Tuesday, describing the surge in case numbers as unsustainable.
 
"I think a sense of complacency has crept into us as we let our frustrations get the better of us. I think that each one know someone who has not been following the rules as well as they should have. I think each of us know that we have got no choice by to take very very difficult steps," Andrews said.
 
Victoria had previously reimposed local lockdowns on dozens of suburbs around Melbourne. On Monday, authorities announced the border between Victoria and New South Wales (NSW) -- Australia's two most-populous states -- will be closed on Tuesday night, effectively cutting off Victoria from the rest of the country.
 
Coronavirus has infected more than 2,800 people and killed 22 in Victoria. Across Australia, more than 8,700 people have been infected and 106 have died, according to Johns Hopkins University's tally.
 



Tags:

More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories

calendarCalendar of Events

Ads