Mobinil sees 28m subscribers by 2010-end
Cairo, February 12, 2010
Egyptian mobile operator Mobinil expects revenue growth to slow to 5 per cent in 2010 and to boost its subscribers to 28 million by the end of the year, its chief financial officer said.
Mobinil, which leads Egypt's competitive mobile market by number of subscribers, said it had 25.35 million customers at the end of December.
By comparison, Vodafone's Egyptian unit added 1.26 million subscribers in the same period to reach 23.33 million, the London-based company said earlier this month.
The likely drop in revenue growth, a result of aggressive pricing promotions, will push Mobinil's Ebitda margin percentage down to a range in 'the low to mid-40s,' Khalid Ellaicy told a conference call with analysts and journalists on Thursday.
He also said the firm's tangible capital expenditure for the year was expected to be between 2.5 billion and 3 billion Egyptian pounds.
The full-year Ebitda margin in 2009 was 47.4 percent and capex was 2.6 billion pounds.
Ellaicy saw no end to the price war with Vodafone Egypt and Etisalat Egypt that peaked in the third quarter with offers to coincide with Ramadan.
'I do believe there will be more competitiveness, more aggressiveness (in) post-paid and pre-paid,' he said.
'What we hope is that the other players will have common sense to see that severe price reductions will only hurt the business long-term,' he said.-Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network