Qatar phone numbers to expand to 8 digits
Doha, March 30, 2010
ictQatar, Qatar's independent telecommunications regulator, has initiated a process that will see Qatar’s fixed and mobile phone numbers increase by one digit to expand to eight from July 28.
The first digit of each phone number will be repeated, so that numbers that currently begin with 3 will start with 33, those starting with 5 will start with 55, 6 with 66 and so forth.
This only applies to numbers beginning with 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7, a statement said.
Qatar Telecom (Qtel), the leading telecom services provider, said it will provide full support for customers during the changeover process with its change management process.
The company is already in the process of upgrading networks to meet the July 28 deadline, and is instituting a number of automated services to minimise inconvenience to Qtel customers, and to people calling Qtel customers from within and outside of Qatar.
Qtel’s dedicated business solutions team has been working with corporate customers in the run-up to the announcement, to provide Qatar’s companies with ample time to make the shift to their new numbers.
Specialists are working to test communications infrastructure and telecom equipment to ensure it is able to be re-programmed with an additional digit. In addition, Qtel is working with PBX and key system vendors to identify the necessary update procedures.
Qtel has also issued advice recommending that corporate stationery and marketing materials be updated in advance of the number change. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Batelco wins key ISO certificates
- Global role for TRA Bahrain chief
- BlackBerry posts $4.4bn quarterly loss
- Huawei sees 4G revenue double to $4bn in 2014
- Govts must design hitech apps to woo citizens
- UAE to launch mobile number portability Sunday
- Batelco offers automatic bill payment
- Etisalat unveils business solutions for SMEs
- Top honours for Nawras female engineer
- Bahrain TRA showcases services at expo