Fewa, du seal landmark agreement
Dubai, January 9, 2011
UAE telecom operator du said it has signed a strategic agreement with the Federal Electricity and Water Authority (Fewa) to support its extensive dark fibre network and help extend the reach of its fixed services to Northern Emirates.
The partnership is in continuation of the signing of a MoU between the two companies earlier, said a statement from du.
The deal allows du and Fewa to optimally utilise their respective network resources to enhance the scope of their services and operations efficiency for the benefit of all UAE residents, the statement added.
The agreement supports du’s plans and is a stepping stone in extending the reach of its fixed services to Northern Emirates which will allow individuals and businesses to enjoy du home and business fixed services.
Commenting on the agreement, Osman Sultan, CEO, du, said: 'We believe that increased co-operation between the private and public sectors based on mutual synergies is the way forward.'
'We are proud of this agreement, which is part of our continuous efforts to strengthen our fixed and mobile network capabilities, and is a significant part of our preparations to extend our fixed services footprint nationwide this year,' he added.
Mohammed Mohammed Saleh, general manager, Fewa, said: “Infrastructure is a national asset and we wanted to capitalise on our dark fibre network for the benefit the UAE telecom sector, we are proud of this partnership with du and wish them all the best in expanding their national fixed footprint.”
An integrated telecom service provider in the UAE, du is 39.5 per cent owned by the UAE government, 19.75 per cent by Mubadala, 19.5 per cent by Emirates Communications & Technology Company and the remaining stake by public shareholders.-TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m