Kuwait court rules Zain AGM void
Kuwait, September 25, 2011
A Kuwaiti court ruled void Zain's April annual shareholders meeting, upholding a case brought by a former board member who opposed the election process, but the ruling will not impact the sale of Zain's Saudi stake, a company source said.
A lawyer for Sheikh Khalifa Ali al-Khalifa al-Sabah, who was not re-elected in April, said on Sunday the decision was a first degree ruling.
In April, Zain elected a new board including a top executive from Kuwait's family conglomerate Kharafi Group, and approved a $3 billion dividend for 2010.
The dividend has already been distributed. The court case centers on the manner in which the new board was elected.
A Zain company source, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Reuters that the firm will appeal the ruling.
'The ruling shocked the board ... but the company will appeal immediately,' the source said.
A Zain spokesman declined to comment, saying it was an issue between a shareholder and the board.
Last year, Sheikh Khalifa filed a lawsuit to halt the due diligence in a $12 billion deal to sell a 46-percent stake in Zain to the UAE's Etisalat . The deal fell apart in March after Etisalat walked away.
A sideline of the failed Etisalat deal was to sell Zain's 25-percent stake in Zain Saudi and the ruling will not affect that, the company source said.
Zain plans to sell its stake in indebted affiliate Zain Saudi to joint bidders Kingdom Holding and Bahrain Telecommunications.
Zain's shares closed down 1 percent on the Kuwaiti bourse on Sunday after the ruling. – Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum