Qtel unit wins global honour for innovation
Doha, June 20, 2012
A major company of the Qtel Group, the telecom leader in Qatar, was honoured for its pioneering services for women in Indonesia at the recent Global Telecoms Business Innovation Awards 2012 in London.
All the awards were for projects that involve at least one operator and at least one vendor, with Nokia and Indosat, part of the Qtel Group, being jointly presented the ‘Emerging Market Service Innovation’ for the “Info Wanita” (Information for Women) service in support of women’s empowerment.
The Global Telecoms Business Awards have been presented annually since 2007, and are considered to be premier awards for the global telecommunications industry. It was an international event attended by senior executives from Brazil, Japan, China, South Africa and New Zealand, as well as the Middle East.
Launched on June 1, Info Wanita is an innovative consumer service designed for women, intended to empower them in their daily lives.
Offering a thrice-weekly SMS service, which is provided free-of-charge to Indosat’s female customers who purchase a bundled package, the service offers SMS content and interesting tips about personal development, health, child care, small business management, financial management, and other life skills.
Deploying the Nokia Life platform, Info Wanita provides easy access to information from the Foundation for Social Change, a social non-profit organisation specialising in education and empowerment of women and girls in developing countries. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Zain Bahrain on track to launch new network
- Microsoft assures foreign customers on spying
- Batelco wins ‘telecom deal’ award
- Samena summit focus on telecom issues
- US firm offers IT security software for SMBs
- US firm supplies biometric software to Saudi
- Du to support SMEs in Ajman
- Red Hat to launch new PaaS
- Egypt to offer unified telecoms licence soon
- Bahrain 'a key player in Nokia Mideast growth'