Mobinil eyes share listing to meet rules
Cairo, February 5, 2013
Egyptian cellphone operator Mobinil would prefer to list more shares on Cairo's stock exchange to meet new ownership rules than sell a bigger stake to a local company, its CEO said on Monday.
France Telecom owns 94 per cent of Mobinil, Orascom Telecom Media and Technology Holding owns 5 per cent, and only the remaining 1 per cent is listed on the exchange, Mobinil's website said.
"We seek to raise our shares in Egypt to 15 per cent and we have three steps to do that, another strategic partner, go to the stock market, or do both," CEO Yves Gauthier said.
"The most favourable option is to go to the stock market."
Asked when the company would do that, he said: "This depends on the economic situation in the country which is not very good... or stable now." The new rules were passed in 2012.
Gauthier also said the company would raise prices if new taxes were imposed, so that the company could meet its cash flow and salary demands. – Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m