Qtel to unveil new initiatives at GSMA congress
Doha, February 20, 2013
Qtel Group leader will unveil a series of new initiatives to enrich customers’ lives at the upcoming GSMA Mobile World Congress in Barcelona from February 25-28.
Qtel Group, one of the world’s fastest-growing communications companies, is aiming to demonstrate its credentials as a forward-looking, community-focused company, said a statement.
Qtel Group continues to expand its reach and deliver innovative and essential services to more than 89 million customers in the Middle East, North Africa and Southeast Asia, it said.
The delegation from Qtel Group will be led by Qtel Group chairman Sheikh Abdullah Bin Mohammed Bin Saud Al Thani, and will include teams working in some of the most interesting markets in the world, including Qtel in Qatar; Asiacell in Iraq; Indosat in Indonesia; Nawras in Oman; Nedjma in Algeria; Tunisiana in Tunisia; and Wataniya in Kuwait, the Maldives and Palestine.
Dr Nasser Marafih, group CEO of Qtel Group and chairman of the GSMA Mobile for Development Foundation, will focus on the challenges and the lessons learned by the group in his keynote presentation on “Connecting the Next Billions to the Internet.”
He will be joined on stage to tackle this challenging area by Gary Kovacs, CEO of Mozilla Corporation; Manoj Kohli, CEO (International) and Joint MD, Bharti Airtel; and Stephen Elop, president and CEO of Nokia.
Dr Marafih said: “Qtel Group believes that our services have the capability to enrich people’s lives. We will be focusing on the incredible social and human impact that communication services can deliver through our participation in Mobile World Congress this year, and outlining our bold plans for new initiatives that will benefit the communities that we serve.”
Across all markets, Qtel Group is deploying leading network technologies and smart investments to enable a better customer experience. The group has initiated a major network modernisation programme with use of latest 3G technology (U900), and increased emphasis on Wi-Fi, resulting in improved indoor quality and a better mobile broadband data experience, the statement said.
In Qatar, Qtel continues to install the Qtel Fibre broadband fibre-optic network across the country, and is preparing to commercially launch its 4G LTE mobile broadband network. Nawras and Wataniya in Kuwait have recently launched 4G networks, and Asiacell and Nedjma are preparing their 2G networks to be upgraded to 3G once they receive government licenses.
Qtel Group companies have also delivered services that promote social change, such as Tunisiana’s mLearning service "Najja7ni", developed in partnership with Silatech to support young people’s economic empowerment and a mHealth service for diabetics in Kuwait, Palestine and Iraq, it said.
The GMSA Mobile World Congress will be the largest communications event in the world this year, with more than 70,000 visitors expected to attend. - TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Etisalat sets ultimatum for SIM card registration
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- UAE mobile radiation levels below global standards
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SAP unveils new cloud platform
- Zain launches smartphone insurance
- Windows XP users warned on usage risks
- Tecom units welcome 181 new companies
- Ooredoo chairman joins WB gender equality council
- Mobily, Jasper start wireless M2M service
- Telecom Egypt expects mobile licence in Mar or Apr
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services