Iraq sends asylum seekers back to Britain
Baghdad, October 17, 2009
Iraq has barred entry to a group of Iraqi asylum seekers sent back to Baghdad by the British government, and Britain is now holding the refugees in an immigration detention centre, Iraqi and British officials said on Saturday.
Sectarian carnage and conflict since the 2003 US invasion of Iraq has created a massive refugee crisis with 1.5 million Iraqis having fled mainly to Syria and Jordan. More than 40,000 Iraqis lodged applications for asylum in the West last year.
"We are establishing a new route to southern Iraq and have successfully returned 10 Iraqis to the Baghdad area. This is an important first step for us," chief executive of the UK Border Agency Lin Homer said in a statement.
A security official at Baghdad airport confirmed that 10 asylum seekers had been allowed entry on Friday, and British officials said 34 of the 44 refugees had returned to Britain.
The Iraqi official said that they were from the semi-autonomous north and should not have been sent to Baghdad.
"We are working closely with the Iraqi government to iron out the issues which led to some of the returnees being sent back, and expect to carry out another flight in the future," Homer said.
But Iraq criticised Britain for the move.
"The action of the British immigration authorities is indeed considered a unilateral step ... sending persons to a country without verifying their identity and whether they were Iraqis or not is wrong," Ali al-Dabbagh said on Iraqi state television.
"We will start contacts with British authorities and this issue will be resolved quietly through diplomatic channels."
Homer said that more than 2,500 people have been voluntarily returned to Iraq in the last three years. British officials said that the 34 Iraqis were being held at an immigration centre.
In June, the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) said Iraq was still too fragile to absorb Iraqis living abroad and any forced repatriation would place the refugees at risk.
But only a month before, UNHCR said that it had stopped recommending that most Iraqis get automatic refugee status abroad given a sharp fall in attacks in Iraq.
Over the last 18 months, the country has seen a dramatic drop in violence, but bombings, killings and other attacks still happen on a daily basis and are expected to increase in the lead up to national elections in January. – Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up
- Bahrain to draw up new anti-terror laws
- GCC ROW: Qatar voices surprise over envoys pull out
- GCC tobacco tax rise ‘will fuel illicit trade’
- Saudi, UAE, Bahrain withdraw envoys from Qatar
- Bahrain explosion draws global condemnation
- GDN photographer hurt in blast is discharged
- Iran playing increasing role in Bahrain unrest
- Bahrain launches 6-point plan to fight terror
- Sisi gives sign he will run for president
- New Saudi clamp on energy drinks
- Health insurance must for Saudi visa
- Qatari doctor gets 7 years jail in UAE
- Family violence law articles approved in Bahrain
- Credit card thief jailed in Bahrain
- GDN photographer hurt in Bahrain explosion
- Bahrain King orders crackdown on terrorists
- Bahrain's 4-year development plan on track
- Bahrain authorities warn of rogue labour camps
- Experts draw 'startling comparisons' in explosives
- Bahrain reforms 'far exceed recommendations'
- Kuwaiti Emir undergoes minor surgery
- Special court to deal with travel bans backed