Saudi crown prince returns home after treatment
Riyadh, December 12, 2009
The crown prince of Saudi Arabia has returned to the kingdom after spending most of the year in Morocco following medical treatment in the US.
Prince Sultan bin Abdul-Aziz, thought to be about 85, underwent an operation in New York in February and then went to Morocco, authorities said at the time without saying what he was suffering from.
The royal court said in a statement earlier this week that the treatment had been successful, without giving further details.
Diplomats have said Prince Sultan, also the first deputy prime minister and minister of defence and aviation, had cancer.
He had an intestinal cyst removed in Saudi Arabia in 2005 and he visited Geneva in April 2008 for what were described as routine tests. – Reuters