Some Iranians ‘arrested on way to funeral’
Tehran, December 21, 2009
Iranian security forces stopped a bus carrying opposition supporters on their way to the funeral of the country's leading dissident cleric and detained some of them, the reformist Kaleme website reported on Monday.
Kaleme said the incident occurred in Tehran late on Sunday and that the bus was carrying family members of detained reformist figures and human rights activists.
'A number of those people have been arrested,' Kaleme said, giving four names. There was no immediate comment from the authorities.
The funeral of Grand Ayatollah Hossein Ali Montazeri was scheduled to start in the holy city of Qom, about 125 km (80 miles) south of Tehran, at around 0530 GMT on Monday.
Another pro-reform website, Norooz, said a bus carrying 42 activists from the northwestern city of Tabriz to Qom was stopped by security forces on Sunday and asked to return home. – Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Bahrain to beef up security for National Day
- Bahrain unearths plot to bomb US Navy base
- Iran must stop meddling in GCC affairs, says Saudi
- Iran proposes new regional bloc
- GCC union 'best option to confront threats'
- Bahraini firms protest postal fee rise
- Obama defends Iran deal, seeks to assure Israel
- Terrorist armies in Syria 'a big threat'
- Oman pulls out of Gulf Union plans
- Bahrain denounces terror groups