US warns on travel to Aqaba
Amman, September 15, 2010
The US embassy in Jordan warned its citizens on Wednesday against travelling to the port city of Aqaba, citing an "imminent" threat.
The US warning published at jordan.usembassy.gov says "credible information has been received regarding a possible imminent threat in the Gulf of Aqaba region".
"The US Embassy recommends that all non-official and personal travel to Aqaba be deferred for at least the next 48 hours," the statement said without elaborating.
Last month, the US Embassy in Tel Aviv told US citizens travelling to the Israeli Red Sea resort of Eilat that they needed to know where the nearest bomb shelter was.
The warning angered the Israeli government which said that the alert should apply to next door Aqaba.
Rockets from Egypt's Sinai, where Islamist militants have operated in the past, hit Israel's and Jordan's Red Sea ports on August 2, killing a Jordanian civilian and injuring three others.
Al Qaeda has been active in Jordan and has carried out attacks there in the past. – Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Kharafi wins $930m damages from Libya
- US must stop 'Iranian plot against Bahrain'
- Saudi says hackers sabotage govt websites
- Saudi princes lose battle to keep UK lawsuit secret
- Egyptians 'gloomier over country's future'
- Iran ‘ready’ for nuke talks with world powers
- Bahrain needs to cut public debt urgently: IMF
- US to rigorously enforce gold ban on Iran
- Bahrain jails 5 tweeters on defamation charge
- US blacklists two UAE companies