Bahrain court orders retrial for 21
Manama, April 30, 2012
A Bahraini court has ordered a retrial for 21 men convicted in a military court of leading last year's uprising, but said they would remain in jail until new verdicts are reached, the official news agency said on Monday.
Among those facing a new trial in a civilian court is Abdulhadi Al-Khawaja who has been on a hunger strike for over two months.
"The court is (ordering) that the trial take place again and that testimony from prosecution and defence witnesses be heard once more as if it is a new trial," BNA said.
"Cassation Court rulings do not allow for releasing defendants as long as they were imprisoned when presented to the first trial," it added.
Defence lawyer Mohammed Al-Jishi, who attended Monday's session, said the judge stated that the men would not be released.
Eight of the group were given life sentences, including Khawaja and opposition leaders Hassan Mushaimaa and Abdulwahhab Hussein by the military court. - Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Deal dead if US passes new sanctions, warns Iran
- Bahrain calls to fast-track GCC union
- Bahrain to join GCC disaster aid body
- Bahrain to beef up security for National Day
- Bahrain unearths plot to bomb US Navy base
- Iran must stop meddling in GCC affairs, says Saudi
- Iran proposes new regional bloc
- GCC union 'best option to confront threats'
- Bahraini firms protest postal fee rise
- Obama defends Iran deal, seeks to assure Israel