Bahrain blast accused get 15 years jail
, March 29, 2013
Fifteen men have been sentenced to a combined 225 years in prison for their role in an explosion that injured five policemen, however only one will actually serve time behind bars.
They were convicted of detonating a booby trap at an illegal roadblock in Bani Jamra on January 28, reported the Gulf Daily News, our sister publication.
The High Criminal Court yesterday jailed them for 15 years each.
Three Bahrainis were originally arrested by police, but two managed to escape from custody earlier this year. Twelve others are still on the run and were tried in absentia, said the report.
All 15 were also convicted of attempted murder and making, possessing and detonating an explosive device, as well as taking part in an illegal gathering.
Police were dispatched to the village to remove debris that was blocking traffic on the Janabiya Highway, but a hidden explosive device was triggered - causing multiple injuries to five officers, according to court documents.
Prosecutors said the homemade explosive was detonated by a remote control.
They added that an electrical wire, charged with an electrical current and mixed with a powder had exploded, and fired projectiles such as metal rods and metal pieces at policemen to kill them.
This was not the first jailbreak that happened right before suspects were handed 15-year jail sentences.
Six inmates had earlier escaped from police custody before being sentenced to 15 years each in connection with an explosion in Eker that injured four policemen last April.
The High Criminal Court had also jailed seven other men to 15 years on March 18. While four others, who are still at large, were sentenced in absentia.-TradeArabia News Service