Qatar emir says steps down, hands power to son
Doha, June 25, 2013
Qatar's Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani said on Tuesday he was stepping down and handing power to his son Sheikh Tamim.
In a speech broadcast on Qatar state television, Sheikh Hamad said it was time for a new generaiton to take over.
He made no direct mention of Prime Minister and Foreign Minister, Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim al-Thani, who had been widely expected to also step down. - Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Bahrain inks key sports deal
- US commitment to ME security proven: Hagel
- GCC 'should have been consulted on Iran deal'
- Jordan elected to take Saudi UN Council seat
- Yemen regains ministry compound, 12 militants killed
- Postal rates rise 300pc in Bahrain
- Qatar denies Syria 'contact'
- Iran to take part in security forum
- GCC security bolstered by Royal grant
- Egypt to pay $1.5bn arrears to foreign oil firms