Bahrain Rolex robbery suspects identified
Manama, October 25, 2013
The six men suspected of being part of a gang that staged a $1.4 million heist at the Bahrain City Centre on September 10 have been identified by Interpol.
Mugshots and basic details about the men are now available on its website.
A Red Notice, or internationally wanted persons alert, was issued for the six following a raid on the Rolex shop at Bahrain City Centre on September 10.
They are identified as Aliu Rrahman, 30, from Serbia; Frani Petrit, 32, from Albania; Ekrem Gashi, 35, from Kosovo; Dedaj Astrit, 23, from Albania; Abazi Gentijan, 24, from Kosovo; and Djerdji Djin, 36, from Macedonia.
The Gulf Daily News, our sister publication, had previously reported that burglars disguised as women smashed their way into the shop soon after it closed at 10pm.
They attacked a security guard and escaped with 79 luxury watches worth $1.4 million, according to Interpol.
Members of the gang are said to have fled the country just two hours later, sparking an international manhunt.
Red Notices were issued to all of Interpol's 190 member countries to catch the suspects, who are wanted in Bahrain to stand trial for aggravated theft.
Interpol on October 4 announced the arrest of Gashi at the Albanian border in connection with the theft. "He is now awaiting extradition (to Bahrain)," it stated.
Police in the Kingdom announced the arrest of two other suspects earlier this month, while the GDN reported on October 10 that three Kosovans had been arrested in connection with the Rolex robbery, according to the European Union Rule of Law Mission.
It said they were detained in raids on four houses in Kosovo's capital Pristina on suspicion of aggravated coercion and assault, causing grievous bodily harm and direct participation in an organised group which committed an aggravated robbery.
Interpol's Command and Co-ordination Centre Middle East and North Africa unit assistant director Emmanuel Leclaire has pledged full support for the investigation. "Interpol will continue to support Bahrain as their investigation continues," he said.
The Rolex shop remained closed for just over a week following the break-in, which damaged the main door and four showcase stands.
The Interior Ministry has released CCTV footage of the incident, which shows men dressed in abayas and one even holding a child's pushchair during the heist.
Earlier this week Interpol executive director for police services Jean-Michel Louboutin praised co-operation with Bahraini officials over the Rolex heist during Interpol's 82nd session in Colombia. The event also brought together Bahraini and Kosovan delegations.-TradeArabia News Service
More Government & Laws Stories
- Nine officials held in Oman graft trials
- Bahrain 'ready for GCC union'
- GCC plans new law for domestic workers
- Bahrain plans big celebrations for National Day
- Abu Dhabi Ports institute hosts special courses
- Auditing push for small enterprises in Bahrain
- US, UK have failed Syrian rebels says Saudi prince
- Israel-Palestinian deal possible by April says Kerry
- Norton Rose boosts Mideast team
- GCC to set up joint military, police unit