Sharjah ruler releases top book in English
London, April 14, 2012
Sheikh Dr Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qassimi, Member of the UAE Supreme Council and Ruler of Sharjah, has released the English translation of his acclaimed book Hadeeth Al Thakera (Taking the Reins) in the UK.
Originally written in Arabic, the book presents a roadmap of the important events that led to the formation and growth of the UAE. The English version is published by the Bloomsbury Publishing House, UK.
In addition to the book-signing ceremony held yesterday (April 13), the launch showcased a montage of the book’s contents to an audience comprising members of the Arab diplomatic corps in London, as well as academics and intellectuals.
“Hadeeth Al Thakera includes a narration of the important events that led to the growth of the UAE. It highlights the factors that influenced the international relations of the UAE Rulers since the formation of the federation in December 1971 up until 1977. These details were etched in my memory,” said Sheikh Sultan.
“The facts are known to many, but were not documented earlier. We took a decision to compile them in a series of books to help the present and future generations gain knowledge about the history of our young nation and the humane approach that the UAE Rulers adopt in the running of the country.”
He said: “The output is very distinct in all respects. We thank Bloomsbury Publishing House for their efforts. We look forward to working with them in the near future for the publication of the English editions of my other books that will be showcased at the London Book Fair next year.”
Nigel Newton, chief executive officer, Bloomsbury Publishing House, said: “I am delighted to welcome Sheikh Dr Sultan Al Qassimi and all our honoured guests to the evening tonight at the Natural History Museum.”
“We are fortunate to have with us distinguished ambassadors from the Middle East. We also have among our midst a number of guests who visited Sharjah for the Sharjah International Book Fair’s first and very successful Professional Programme that was held under the patronage of His Highness last November.”
Newton added: “I recommend everyone to read the English version of Hadeeth Al Thakera’ in order to understand the mind of a great ruler and what it takes to give birth to a new nation, one to which the world today increasingly turns towards for lessons in leadership.”
Gavin Elser, author, newspaper columnist and award-winning BBC broadcaster, said: “It is a great honour to be here and to be invited to say a few words to help launch a book from an author who is also a distinguished leader.”
“The latest work of Sheikh Dr Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qassimi - Taking the Reins and the first volume of his autobiography My Early Life address two great concerns of the 21st century: how people and countries can bring about change and adapt themselves to a world that is in a state of flux and how leaders can and in fact must tell stories to connect themselves to their followers and explain who they are to the world," he added. – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- Art now 'a viable asset class for ME investors'
- 150 creative activities mark 1st Dubai Art Season
- KFC, MBC promotion offers visit to WWE event
- 155m-year-old dinosaur finds home in Dubai Mall
- Most firms take up more CSR projects
- Saudi salon plans expansion across Gulf
- Microsoft identifies new digital trends
- Etisalat offers live streaming TV apps
- Month-long British Festival in Qatar opens
- 20 students take part in Leo Burnett event
- Saudi, Emirati journalists quit Qatar jobs
- LuLu chief in top global Indian list
- New 'Best Things' website launched
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat