Bahrain to stop news broadcasts on Arabsat
Manama, May 27, 2012
Bahrain news will soon no longer be broadcast on Arabsat in protest over its transmission of Iranian propaganda, the Information Affairs Authority (IAA) said.
IAA decided to stop broadcasting from this Friday, in protest over "its failure to take an official measure to stop the hostile media campaign waged by the Iranian channels against Bahrain and Saudi Arabia to incite sectarianism and shake security and stability, in breach of Arab and international agreements and conventions".
The IAA denounced the Iranian channels' exploitation of Arabsat to broadcast programmes inciting sectarianism, hatred, violence, terrorism and disseminating lies and defamatory media materials targeting political and social leaders in both kingdoms and tarnishing historical brotherly relations among the GCC countries.
It stressed the decision had been taken after it had repeatedly requested the Arab satellite since February 20 last year to stop the Iranian channels' broadcast and put an end to its violations.
However, the executive body of Arabsat did not respond to these requests though the Iranian media violations are in breach of all agreements and conventions regulating media content, the authority said. – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Twitter backtracks on block feature over protests
- Al Maktoum foundation launches Arabic promotion drive
- MBC, UN team up to offer aid in rural Egypt
- Al Maktoum launches Arabic promotion drive
- Access to talent ‘key to Dubai’s media growth’
- Masdar launches global blogging contest
- Millard Brown opens Jeddah office
- Global Aerospace Summit wins top award
- BurJuman hosts contest for mothers
- Dubai duo brings glory to Indian cinema