Doha firm plans $1bn series on the Prophet
Doha, December 19, 2012
Qatar-based company Alnoor Holding has said it will raise the budget for a planned movie series on the life of Prophet Mohammed to $1 billion from the $1.5 million announced three years ago.
The biopics will be produced as a series of "seven films - instead of three films as per an earlier announcement - with a total budget of $1 billion," Alnoor chairman Ahmed Al Hashemi was quoted as saying by our sister publication the Gulf Daily News.
Alnoor announced in 2009 that it was seeking financing for the film series, to be produced by Barrie Osborne, a Hollywood veteran of more than 40 years whose credits include Lord of the Rings and The Matrix.
Prominent Qatar-based Sunni cleric Sheikh Yusuf Qaradawi, head of the Association of Muslim Scholars, will lead research on the film and serve as technical consultant on the project.
The company said the film will be in English and will be translated into several different languages "to correct the wrong image Western societies have of Islam". – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Emirates inks PSG shirt sponsorship deal
- DAO launches first Arabic Unity 3D game
- Bahrain kids join 'Art of C’ project
- Nawras to help Omani boys meet Messi
- Dubai Film and TV to make Cannes debut
- New president for AmCham Bahrain
- PDO, Omantel to aid scholarship scheme
- More Bahraini women in media urged
- Abu Dhabi enters 'Top 100 MICE hub' list
- Xerox Emirates appoints new GM