His Majesty at the opening ceremony with HRH the Prime Minister,
Blatter and Platini.
Bahrain kicks off biggest soccer event
Manama, January 6, 2013
Bahrain got a major vote of confidence when His Majesty King Hamad opened the 21st Gulf Cup in the presence of top officials from the world of soccer.
Fifa president Sepp Blatter, Uefa president Michel Platini and other top officials joined His Royal Highness Prime Minister Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa and His Royal Highness Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa, Crown Prince and Deputy Supreme Commander, at the hour-long colourful opening ceremony, reported the Gulf Daily News, our sister publication.
Bahrain is hosting the event for the fourth time since it was held here in 1970. Eight national teams from the Middle East are vying for the coveted Khaleeji 21 trophy at two venues - the National Stadium in Riffa and the Khalifa Sports City Stadium in Isa Town.
Soccer fever gripped Bahrain last night as thousands of fans from across the region took part in a colourful opening ceremony for the prestigious 21st Gulf Cup at the National Stadium.
They were treated to colourful shows accompanied by foot-tapping music and soulful and traditional Arabic songs. The ceremony also featured a fireworks display that lit up the night sky.
Bahrain began its quest for their maiden Cup title with a goalless draw against Oman.-TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Sharjah to unveil 'Islamic Culture Capital' logo
- Dubai set for star-studded charity event
- Top hotels set to compete in bell boy race
- New mobile app delivers strategic insights
- Akhbar Al Khaleej website wins top e-Content award
- Jeddah to host multi-sector trade fair
- Meadfa set for Dubai conference
- Doha media centre sacks chief
- Forum focus on proper use of social media
- 400 firms to showcase at SGI Dubai