His Majesty at the opening ceremony with HRH the Prime Minister,
Blatter and Platini.
Bahrain kicks off biggest soccer event
Manama, January 6, 2013
Bahrain got a major vote of confidence when His Majesty King Hamad opened the 21st Gulf Cup in the presence of top officials from the world of soccer.
Fifa president Sepp Blatter, Uefa president Michel Platini and other top officials joined His Royal Highness Prime Minister Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa and His Royal Highness Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa, Crown Prince and Deputy Supreme Commander, at the hour-long colourful opening ceremony, reported the Gulf Daily News, our sister publication.
Bahrain is hosting the event for the fourth time since it was held here in 1970. Eight national teams from the Middle East are vying for the coveted Khaleeji 21 trophy at two venues - the National Stadium in Riffa and the Khalifa Sports City Stadium in Isa Town.
Soccer fever gripped Bahrain last night as thousands of fans from across the region took part in a colourful opening ceremony for the prestigious 21st Gulf Cup at the National Stadium.
They were treated to colourful shows accompanied by foot-tapping music and soulful and traditional Arabic songs. The ceremony also featured a fireworks display that lit up the night sky.
Bahrain began its quest for their maiden Cup title with a goalless draw against Oman.-TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- 20 students take part in Leo Burnett event
- Saudi, Emirati journalists quit Qatar jobs
- LuLu chief in top global Indian list
- New 'Best Things' website launched
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE
- RAK charity run sees record participation
- Tussauds owner plans Dubai theme park
- Batelco provides 4G services at F1 testing