Du marks UAE National Day with events
Dubai, November 6, 2013
Du, a leading telecom operator in the UAE, will host a series of events to be held throughout the month of November in the lead-up to the country’s 42nd National Day on December 2.
Echoing the company’s National Day 2012 ‘Hassantoka Ya Watan’ initiative celebrations, this year’s events aim to enhance creativity and encourage national pride in Emiratis and residents alike, through social media and other channels.
Activities will include du’s second round of its Social Media Awards, du National Day Forum, and internal celebrations.
Hala Badri, executive vice president, Brand and Communications, said: “National Day represents a celebration filled with feelings of love and loyalty towards the United Arab Emirates. We are a proud Emirati company keen to express our patriotism, and to be part of the nation’s booming business sector through the National Day ‘Hassantoka Ya Watan’ initiative. This year, we will express our national pride through a series of events and activities throughout November.”
Social Media Awards
The return of the Social Media Awards for the second time will once more see the UAE’s most innovative social media users celebrated for their contributions to the community. Entrants are judged on their positive social media presence, and the way in which they encourage patriotism and a strong community spirit within the society. Entries are accepted until November 18, and can be submitted through du.ae/awards.
“Social media channels provide myriad opportunities for information sharing and networking. We must therefore use them in effective, positive ways. As a national telecommunications company, we aim to establish a constructive digital community comprising UAE citizens and residents,” Badri added.
“This community will safeguard the Union through the creation of content that promotes patriotism, loyalty and national pride, supporting all that our leadership has achieved both at local and international channels.”
This year’s awards categories are:
• Social Responsibility Award: This award will be granted to the individual or group that makes the best use of social media to promote vital UAE-related social responsibility campaigns and community-related initiatives
• Best Blogger Award: This award will be granted to an individual or a group of writers who make the best use of social media to write good content that promotes positive initiatives in the community
• Best Video Content Award: This award will be granted to an individual or a group that produces video content containing meaningful messages for the community
• Best Social Supporter of Expo 2020: This award will be granted to the individual who shows the best support of Dubai’s Expo 2020 bid through social media.
• People’s Choice Award: This award will be granted to an individual who is most admired by the people for their contributions to the UAE’s social media community. Three nominees for each category will be announced at a later day, and the public will be invited to vote for their favourite of 12 People’s Choice Award contenders.
In addition to its activities engaging the UAE community, du will celebrate the 42nd UAE National Day internally, with a journey through the nation’s history. Alternating floors within du’s headquarters in Dubai Media City will express a different decade in UAE’s history since the formation of the UAE in the 70s, ending with futuristic predictions of what the decades to come may hold. – TradeArabia News Service