Bahrain clamp on Dreambox
Manama, October 15, 2009
The Telecommunication Regulatory Authority in Bahrain has instructed all Internet Service Providers (ISPs) in the kingdom to shut down the DYN DNS service, a Batelco statement said.
This service allows customers to access fee-charging satellite networks without paying, by connecting a Dreambox linked to their television set, to the internet.
The directive, to be complied with effective October 15, is based upon an order from the Ministry of Culture and Information, the statement said.
“Batelco is obliged to comply with the TRA direction, which has been ordered by the Ministry of Culture and Information, responsible for regulation of internet content. Batelco is a law abiding corporation and is obliged to comply with the laws of the Kingdom,” said Batelco group general manager media and government relations Ahmed Al Janahi.
“We therefore must oblige with this request to block the DYN DNS service, even though we believe it will cause inconvenience to thousands of our customers,”-TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Dubai gold refiner wins ISO certification
- KKR among bidders for Saudi fast food chain
- UK denies role in Bahrain’s security action
- Wadi makes splash in booming MICE market
- Alba donates aid to Bahrain’s elderly
- Ethiopia, Egypt tone down talk of war over Nile dam
- Tougher food marketing needed to cut obesity: WHO
- Playnation to host Hip Hop contest
- Bahrain alerts on waste food during Ramadan
- BAS wins hospital catering contract