Carpet Oasis to display $544m worth rugs
Dubai, January 31, 2010
Carpet Oasis, a popular attraction during the Dubai Shopping Festival (DSF), will showcase some of the world’s rarest and most valuable collections of carpets and rugs, valued at nearly Dh2 billion ($544 million), this year.
In addition to the regular showcase and sale of premium carpets of the world, this year’s Carpet Oasis, organised annually by the Dubai Customs Authority, will put the spotlight on the historical and cultural value of carpets in a special museum set up at the West Hall of the Dubai Airport Expo.
This year’s exhibition will guarantee a culturally enriching experience for visitors, who will have an inside look at how carpets are made and how they have become a part of Arab culture and homes for thousands of years. Of particular interest will be the display of an antique Mongolian carpet recently uncovered and believed to be at least 2,000 years-old.
The event will also have painting exhibitions as well as daily workshops on ceramics, wood engraving, crystal design, collage, and jewellery making, conducted by well-known artisans and artists that will make each visit to the Carpet Oasis a fun and learning experience, said an organiser.
Last year’s Carpet Oasis generated sales in excess of Dh52 million.
Carpet Oasis will also feature a photo exhibit of its exhibitions since 1996.-TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Gulf Air backs UN 'MY World' survey
- South Korean group in $1.1bn Iraq jet deal
- Northrop Grumman inks Saudi training deal
- RJ, Jordan Society sign strategic deal
- 125 exhibitors for Sharjah halal expo
- SRB to oversee UK firm’s shari’a compliance drive
- SMEs conference opens in Bahrain
- Nasa finds evidence of freshwater lake in Mars
- Diamond to launch UK café brand in UAE
- Mideast super-rich's wealth surges to $354bn