First Iranian-built destroyer launched in Gulf
Tehran, February 20, 2010
Iranian state television said the first Iranian-built destroyer was launched on Friday in a ceremony attended by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
'The first domestically made destroyer Jamaran was launched this morning and joined Iran's naval forces in the southern waters of the Persian Gulf,' state television IRIB reported. It did not give the location of the launch.
The report showed footage of the warship and said it was equipped with torpedoes and electronic radar. The ship is 94 metres long and more than 1,500 tonnes, it said.
Much of Iran's naval equipment dates from before the 1979 Islamic revolution and is US-made.
Tension is high in the long-running international row over Iran's nuclear programme, with Western powers calling for a fourth round of UN sanctions against Tehran for refusing to halt uranium enrichment.
The West fears Iran is seeking nuclear weapons. Tehran says it plans only civilian nuclear facilities.
The UN nuclear watchdog said in its latest report it feared Iran might be working now to develop a nuclear payload for a missile.
The United States and its western allies say they want a diplomatic solution but have not ruled out military action against the Islamic republic.
The United States said in January it had expanded missile defence systems in and around the Gulf - a waterway crucial for global oil supplies - to counter what it sees as Iran's growing missile threat.
Iran condemned the move and accused Washington of seeking to stoke 'Iran phobia'.-Reuters
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Mother recounts vice den ordeal in Bahrain
- More companies 'getting into CSR activities'
- Middle East grain import bills could rise
- New Emirati themed restaurant opens
- 4 UAE companies in race for agri innovation awards
- Stage set for Bahrain Animal Production Show
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Dubai chamber F&B group sets roadmap for 2014
- Feminisation drive costs $213m to Saudi firms
- US interiors firm opens MEA base in Dubai
- Saudi 'spends $1.6bn on energy drinks'
- Farmer is jailed for raping housemaid in Bahrain
- Bahraini mother recounts firebombs agony
- Guard foils masked ATM robbers in Bahrain
- Bahraini on Arab world's 'most powerful women' list
- Latest kitchen technology at Sharjah event
- Number of HNWIs in Africa to double by 2023
- World boxing legend to visit Bahrain
- UAE road accidents decline by 23.5pc
- Top businesswomen in Bahrain honoured
- Death penalty sought for Bahrain terrorists
- Girl, 9, dies after fall from 8th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Lebanese café brand opens Dubai outlet
- Bahrain poultry firm told to step up safety
- Customer dies in Bahrain cafe brawl
- Bahraini boys hurt while planting bombs
- Philips, Ericsson launch LED street lighting
- DuBiotech to set up first Halal safety lab
- Jotun to supply coatings for Makkah Station
- Raytheon wins $655m Kuwait Patriot deal