Dubai art patrons honoured
Dubai, March 18, 2010
The inaugural Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Patrons of the Arts Awards were presented today (March 18) to individuals and organisations who supported the development of Dubai’s art scene over the last three years.
Together, the awardees had contributed more than Dh220 million ($60 million) towards the arts sector of Dubai.
At an event organised by the Dubai Culture & Arts Authority (Dubai Culture), the Emirate’s dedicated organisation for culture, heritage and the arts, over 50 art patrons were honoured in four categories – distinguished patrons of the arts, patrons of the arts, supporters of the arts, and friends of the arts.
The awardees, representing private and public sector organisations as well as individuals, had made contributions -- financial or in kind -- towards events in performing arts, literature, visual arts and films or related Dubai-led initiatives from 2007 to 2009.
“Patrons of the Arts Awards is a unique model in public and private partnership,” said HH Sheikh Majid Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, chairman of the Dubai Culture.
“Patrons are not merely sponsors of art events. They do not seek the limelight but stand as pillars of continued support for the arts community,” he added.
“By recognising them, the Dubai Culture & Arts Authority aims to stimulate further support for the various art disciplines and thus contribute to making Dubai a city where content is created and not merely exhibited.”
A highlight of the awards ceremony was a performance that integrated various artistic media, conceptualised and executed by Emirati and Dubai-based talent.
In a mix of diverse artforms – ranging from New Media to films and music to performing arts, fashion and painting – the show presented a creative journey into the mindset of the patrons of the arts set against the backdrop of Dubai. – TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Dubai private security firm gets key certification
- Dutch firm wins Algeria interior ministry order
- Bahrain SMEs 'on the verge of closure'
- Unrest victim's kin stranded at Bahrain airport
- Egypt food subsidy bill to total $4.3bn this year
- Entrepreneurship festival targets SMEs
- Equity firm buys into Algerian Pepsi bottler
- Mother recounts vice den ordeal in Bahrain
- More companies 'getting into CSR activities'
- Middle East grain import bills could rise
- New Emirati themed restaurant opens
- 4 UAE companies in race for agri innovation awards
- Stage set for Bahrain Animal Production Show
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Dubai chamber F&B group sets roadmap for 2014
- Feminisation drive costs $213m to Saudi firms
- US interiors firm opens MEA base in Dubai
- Saudi 'spends $1.6bn on energy drinks'
- Farmer is jailed for raping housemaid in Bahrain
- Bahraini mother recounts firebombs agony
- Guard foils masked ATM robbers in Bahrain
- Bahraini on Arab world's 'most powerful women' list
- Latest kitchen technology at Sharjah event
- Number of HNWIs in Africa to double by 2023
- World boxing legend to visit Bahrain
- UAE road accidents decline by 23.5pc
- Top businesswomen in Bahrain honoured
- Death penalty sought for Bahrain terrorists
- Girl, 9, dies after fall from 8th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Lebanese café brand opens Dubai outlet