Kuwait UK embassy suspends operations over threat
Kuwait, October 20, 2011
The British embassy in Kuwait said it had temporarily suspended operations because of a security threat, and warned other British organisations in the Gulf state they could also be at risk.
"Whilst the threat is targeted against the embassy itself, we cannot rule out threats against other British interests in Kuwait," the statement dated Wednesday, October 19, and posted on the embassy website, said.
"We therefore advise that British organisations and businesses in Kuwait review the security procedures they have in place," it added.
Opec member Kuwait hosts Camp Arifjan, a vast US logistics base in the desert south of the capital that serves as a staging post for U.S. forces being deployed in neighbouring Iraq.
Kuwait said in April an Iranian spy cell uncovered last year had monitored the US military presence and possessed explosives to attack "strategic" facilities.
A source at Kuwait's foreign ministry source said he did not know the precise nature of the security threat against Britain, but did not expect the measures to last for long.
"They (the embassy) will resume operations on Sunday," the source told Reuters.
The British embassy said there was a general threat from terrorism in Kuwait adding that "terrorists continue to issue statements threatening to carry out attacks in the Gulf region", including references to attacks on Western residential compounds, military, oil, transport and aviation interests.
No warning has been seen on the US embassy website.
Kuwait's emir in June said the Gulf Arab state would show "zero tolerance" to anyone threatening the Opec oil exporter's security, after the opposition held weekly rallies demanding that Prime Minister Sheikh Nasser al-Mohammad al-Sabah step down.
A generous welfare system has enabled Kuwait to avoid the mass protests that have forced out the rulers of Egypt and Tunisia.
But the Gulf state has endured a long political stalemate, and opposition has built up against Sheikh Nasser, an influential member of the ruling family.
Several hundred people have held weekly peaceful rallies to demand his resignation.-Reuters
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Dubai private security firm gets key certification
- Dutch firm wins Algeria interior ministry order
- Bahrain SMEs 'on the verge of closure'
- Unrest victim's kin stranded at Bahrain airport
- Egypt food subsidy bill to total $4.3bn this year
- Entrepreneurship festival targets SMEs
- Equity firm buys into Algerian Pepsi bottler
- Mother recounts vice den ordeal in Bahrain
- More companies 'getting into CSR activities'
- Middle East grain import bills could rise
- New Emirati themed restaurant opens
- 4 UAE companies in race for agri innovation awards
- Stage set for Bahrain Animal Production Show
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Dubai chamber F&B group sets roadmap for 2014
- Feminisation drive costs $213m to Saudi firms
- US interiors firm opens MEA base in Dubai
- Saudi 'spends $1.6bn on energy drinks'
- Farmer is jailed for raping housemaid in Bahrain
- Bahraini mother recounts firebombs agony
- Guard foils masked ATM robbers in Bahrain
- Bahraini on Arab world's 'most powerful women' list
- Latest kitchen technology at Sharjah event
- Number of HNWIs in Africa to double by 2023
- World boxing legend to visit Bahrain
- UAE road accidents decline by 23.5pc
- Top businesswomen in Bahrain honoured
- Death penalty sought for Bahrain terrorists
- Girl, 9, dies after fall from 8th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Lebanese café brand opens Dubai outlet