Bahrain steps up security for jewellery show
Manama, November 11, 2013
Tight security is in place for the Middle East's biggest jewellery showcase, which takes place in Bahrain later this month, according to a government minister.
More than 600 exhibitors from 30 countries will take part in the 22nd Jewellery Arabia from November 19 to 23 at the Bahrain International Exhibition and Convention Centre, reported the Gulf Daily News, our sister publication.
It was announced last week that security had been completely overhauled this year, including the installation of CCTV cameras throughout the venue, following high-profile thefts in previous years.
A Serbian gang stole a BD567,000 ($1.46 million) Cartier diamond necklace from the Asia Jewellers stand in 2002 and a number of smaller thefts have taken place in subsequent years, including in 2007 when several items worth a combined total of BD168,000 were taken.
However, the Cabinet chaired by Deputy Premier Shaikh Mohammed bin Mubarak Al Khalifa yesterday approved details of event preparations submitted by Industry and Commerce Minister Dr Hassan Fakhro.
The Minister of State for Information Affairs and official government spokeswoman said in a Press conference after the session at Gudaibiya Palace that security was in place to ensure no thefts occur.
"The latest theft was two years ago and since then the government has been coming up with more security measures to ensure such incidents are not repeated, which was the case with last year's event," she said.
"Jewellery Arabia is one of the largest exhibitions in the Middle East and a major supporter of the exhibition industry in Bahrain and we are trying to showcase it in the best way possible."
The exhibition takes place under the patronage of HRH Prime Minister Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa and is expected to attract more than 50,000 people.
It will open from 4pm to 10pm between November 19 and 22 and from midday to 10pm on November 23. – TradeArabia News Service