GB Auto Q1 net jumps on Egypt, Iraq sales
Cairo, May 12, 2010
Egypt's GB Auto reported on Tuesday a leap in first-quarter net income, as sales extended a rebound from a slump in late 2008 and company the expanded into Iraq.
The firm, Egypt's biggest listed automobile assembler, said net income jumped to EGP68.7 million ($12.3 million) from 7.2 million in the same period last year.
The automotive sector in Egypt was hit in 2009 by the downturn, but demand has started to pick up, helped in part by a government plan to offer affordable taxis to drivers.
'Having delivered an outstanding performance during what is traditionally the slowest period of our year, we look forward to delivering substantial top and bottom-line growth,' GB Auto Chief Executive Officer Raouf Ghabbour said in a statement.
He added that expansion into Iraq in mid-February started to bear fruit, as sales reached 1,341 vehicles in the first quarter.
The firm manufactures, assembles, imports and distributes vehicles for Hyundai, Bajaj, Mitsubishi, Volvo and Mazda Motor Corp.
It said in March it expected to double profits in 2010 and would start exporting buses and trailers to some Middle Eastern and east European markets.
Sales doubled to 1.33 billion pounds in the quarter, GB Auto's strongest first quarter, boosted by record passenger car sales, which tripled to EGP953 million.
Commercial vehicle revenue grew 33.5 per cent to EGP147.7 million, while motorcycle and three-wheeler revenue rose 4 per cent to 122 million. – Reuters
More Motoring Stories
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week
- Al-Futtaim supplies hybrids to Cars Taxi
- Arabian Auto named Importer of the Year
- Dubai RTA launches limo booking service
- Bahrain F1 fans to meet favourite drivers
- Motorcity offers special service for Chery owners