Indian auto major to open RAK assembly plant
Dubai, December 15, 2010
India's Hinduja Group flagship Ashok Leyland on Thursday will inaugurate a vehicle assembly plant in Ras al Khaimah Investment Authority (Rakia).
The plant will be inaugurated by Sheikh Saud Bin Saqr Al Qasimi, Ruler of Ras Al Khaimah in the presence of Srichand P Hinduja, chairman of Hinduja Group, according to a report in The Economic Times.
In October 2006, Ashok Leyland had signed a MoU with Rakia for setting up the assembly unit, which eventually be upgraded to a vehicle assembly plant (for trucks and buses) in the second phase.
It was then announced that the new venture would involve an investment of $50 million in a phased manner.
The unit, with an initial annual capacity for 1,000 buses of international styling, manufacture and quality, will start operations, as a bus body assembly using Ashok Leyland chassis and bus body CKD kits sent from India (including Irizar TVS).
The facility includes a state-of-the-art paint plant for bus bodies, managed and operated by Ashok Leyland.
In January 2007, Ashok Leyland had announced the setting up of its subsidiary company in Ras Al Khaimah, at a cost of Rs 22.5 crore, for launching the bus body assembly plant to cater to the Middle East and neighbouring markets.
More Motoring Stories
- New taxi laws to curb accidents in Abu Dhabi
- Traffic chaos fear in Bahrain
- Toyota remains ‘world’s most valuable car brand’
- Yas Marina Circuit appoints new CEO
- Mercedes-Benz event shows off SUV range
- Qatar Rail backs Gulf Traffic Week
- Citibank in Bahrain F1 tickets offer
- New Renault Safrane arrives in Saudi
- Bentley announces key regional postings
- Jordan dealer launches Jaguar promotion
- New Maserati Ghibli launched in Bahrain
- BMW unveils mobile site, iDrive in Arabic
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models