Friday 24 October 2014
 
»
 
»
Story

F1 on track, insist Bahrain racing officials

Manama, June 9, 2011

Bahrain's racing chiefs yesterday said they had no new information to suggest the rescheduled Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix would not go ahead in October.

They said they were aware of comments made by F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone that the race might not go ahead.

Friday's decision by the International Automobile Federation (FIA) to reinstate the race still applies, said a Bahrain International Circuit (BIC) spokesman.

The race was due to take place in March but was put off due to anti-government protesters in the kingdom.

Ecclestone, who had earlier supported the rescheduling of the event, said in an interview yesterday that he believed the race would not go ahead as the teams and drivers do not want to take part.

The F1 teams reportedly sent a letter to the FIA through the Formula One Teams Association on their opposition to the race taking place this year.

The teams want the inaugural Indian Grand Prix, which has now been pushed back to December, to take place as originally planned on October 30, according to reports.

The teams believe it is not practical to add another race on to the end of what is already a long season.

Reports claim the letter does not register any moral or ethical objections to the idea of a race in Bahrain, but that objections to the rescheduling have been raised on logistical grounds. - TradeArabia News Service




Tags: Bahrain | Racing | F1 grand prix | Bernie Ecclestone |

calendarCalendar of Events

Ads