Hertz to launch electric car service in China
Shanghai, August 28, 2011
The Hertz Corporation has expanded its global electric vehicle initiative into China, making it the first rental car company to offer electric vehicles (EVs) on three continents.
Hertz has teamed up with GE Energy Industrial Solutions to introduce its EV fleet to the country, which includes the co-location of electric vehicles and GE EV infrastructure.
Hertz also signed an agreement to participate in the China (Shanghai) International EV Pilot City to propel the EV rental programme, building out the infrastructure across the Jiading district of Shanghai as the starting point to make EVs accessible to corporations, local government and the general public, as well as promote the benefits of EVs.
“China has committed to rapidly expand electric vehicle travel and Hertz is committed to supporting the important EV Pilot City programme,” said Mark P Frissora, Hertz chairman and chief executive officer.
The global car rental company additionally launched a partnership with BYD Auto to combine electrical vehicle sales and leasing as a mobility solution for MNC and government agencies in metropolitan Chinese cities and to promote new energy applications to propel and further develop the EV marketplace in China.
“Working with our existing rental car network in China and partners like GE, we are committed to helping build the necessary EV infrastructure in China and to create a new transportation solution that employs the latest technology and harnesses innovations being launched in China today,” added Frissora.
Earlier this year, Shanghai was selected as the International EV Pilot City by the Chinese government and Jiading district of Shanghai as the electric vehicle international demonstration zone, with a goal of increasing public awareness and integration within the industry.
Current partners include auto manufacturers, energy suppliers, insurance companies and other EV supply chain participants. Hertz is the first rental car company to sign an MoU to become a partner. The agreement supports the objective for the promotion of EVs in China and will serve as a foundation for further innovation and development of the infrastructure.
In its first year, the Hertz Global EV initiative has grown to a market presence in more than ten cities, offering a diverse fleet of electric vehicles from manufacturers like BYD Auto as well as Nissan, GM, Mitsubishi, Renault and Tesla.
As the world’s largest general-use airport car-rental brand, Hertz is uniquely positioned to introduce multiple groups of consumers – urban drivers, university students, travellers and corporations – to all-electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles.
As part of its strategy, Hertz is forming partnerships with automakers, charging station providers, municipalities, NGOs, corporations and other stakeholders.
“At the Clinton Global Initiative last September, we announced a commitment to provide electric vehicle access on a global scale, an ambitious goal,” continued Frissora. “In less than one year, Hertz is now the leading provider of EV mobility solutions, offering an unparalleled selection of EVs and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV) in cities worldwide.
“We are firmly committed to adding new retail and business-to-business EV car rental locations internationally as auto manufacturers ramp up EV and PHEV production over the next few years.” – TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- BMW unveils mobile site, iDrive in Arabic
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week