iMena, Rocket to launch mobile taxi app
Dubai, October 24, 2013
Rocket Internet, the world’s largest internet incubator and iMena Holding, the leading online investor and operator in the Mena region, have partnered to launch ‘Easy Taxi,’ Rocket’s mobile taxi app, in the Middle East.
The partnership will see iMena investing $7 million into a new venture that will bring the successful app model to Middle Eastern customers, starting with Saudi Arabia, where the service went live yesterday (October 23).
This investment represents the largest funding to-date for a mobile application business in the region. With a steady growth and global rollout in Latin America, Africa and Asia, the app model enables investor confidence, for a rewarding future in the business of mobile applications.
Easy Taxi (easytaxi.com) was launched by Rocket Internet in 2011 and is now one of the world’s leading mobile Taxi apps, connecting drivers and passengers in a smooth, easy and safe way.
The app, available for iOS, Android and new Blackberry devices, confirms the customer’s pickup point and orders the closest cab in his vicinity, with the press of a button. In seconds, a confirmation of the driver’s name, photo, as well as the car model and plate number is sent.
From here on, customers can follow the vehicle’s location in real-time as it approaches, favorite addresses can be saved and the ride history checked. Since drivers are checked for compliance, before joining the network, passengers can be absolutely content about their safety and can simply enjoy their ride.
Currently, Easy Taxi is available in 15 markets including Latin America, Africa and Asia. Globally, Easy Taxi app has more than two million downloads and over 60,000 taxi drivers in the network. Earlier this year, Easy Taxi received fresh capital from Rocket Internet, the Latin America Internet Holding (LIH) and the African Internet Holding (AIH).
“We are thrilled to collaborate with Rocket Internet once again for the launch of Easy Taxi in the Middle East,” said Khaldoon Tabaza, iMena’s co-founder and managing director.
“The company’s scale and achievements after only two years of operations are highly impressive. Given the management’s track record, the trend of mobile apps, and the market’s macro outlook, we are very confident in the regional success of Easy Taxi.
With our strong global partners AIH, LIH and Rocket Internet, as well as our regional partners, including Etisalat Group and their operating companies across the region, we believe, we can redefine the online business in the Middle East and set the path for a successful and profitable future,” Tabaza added.
Dr Eyad Alkassar, Rocket Internet’s managing director and co-founder of Namshi said: “Following our successful partnership for Hellofood, announced in September 2013, we are proud to be supported once again by iMena. This collaboration will allow us to trigger Easy Taxi’s expansion in the Middle East.
“Due to iMena’s great experience in backing businesses in the Middle East, they are the perfect partner for our global expansion plans and will help us to achieve our all-time goal: to connect taxi drivers and passengers in the best possible and easiest way worldwide.” – TradeArabia News Service
Tags: Rocket Internet |
More Motoring Stories
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week
- Al-Futtaim supplies hybrids to Cars Taxi
- Arabian Auto named Importer of the Year
- Dubai RTA launches limo booking service