Pearl, gem testing unit opens in Bahrain
Manama, July 1, 2008
A state-of-the-art pearl and gem testing and grading laboratory was opened in the Kingdom of Bahrain on Monday.
The new specialised centre is ranked among the best of its kind, Industry and Commerce Minister Dr Hassan Fakhro said after opening the laboratory in the presence of businessmen and pearl and gem specialists.
The laboratory, located at the ministry-owned Khairiya Building in the Diplomatic Area,
is more spacious and boasts world-class technical and security equipment.
It is specialised in testing and grading natural pearls to ensure they are distinct from cultured ones, Dr Fakhro said.
He also hailed the new facility as reflecting the government's keenness to promote the sector of natural pearls in the kingdom.
Bahrain's efforts to further bolster control systems and acquisition of hi-tech equipment were also highlighted.
Bahrain is the only country in the world, which bans importing or trading in cultured pearls. Prohibitive laws were passed follwing directives from the kingdom's leadership.
The first such law dates back to 1928, in the era of the late Bahrain ruler Shaikh Hamad bin Isa bin Ali Al Khalifa, who took over from his father the late Shaikh Isa bin Ali Al Khalifa in 1923.
The new lab is also specialised in testing and grading gems, issuing world-standard certificates that are accredited regionally and internationally.
Large quantities of retail pearls, pearl necklaces, and gems are tested and graded monthly.
The lab is staffed with skilled Bahrainis, who were graduated and trained at leading international institutes.
A highly-equipped diamond testing and grading unit was also inaugurated yesterday.-TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- Origin offers a chance to win luxury doors
- Big jewellery show opens in Abu Dhabi
- Casio offers G-Shock in camouflage patterns
- AdvanTag to launch mobile app in Dubai
- Bahrain Duty Free plans $2.6m revamp
- Sennheiser unveils new microphone system
- Centrepoint opens 100th store in Dubai
- Panasonic to showcase top AV solutions in Dubai
- Alhokair eyes US, UK buys; plans debut sukuk
- 20 countries back Abu Dhabi jewellery show
- SanDisk launches 128GB memory card
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector