Carrefour UAE donates food supplies for needy
Abu Dhabi, October 8, 2009
Leading UAE retailer Carrefour has delivered a truck-load of food items worth Dh625,000 to the Red Crescent’s Abu Dhabi office, which will go to needy communities across the UAE.
Carrefour carried out the collection drive in the UAE during Ramadan. Foodstuffs were given free or at heavily discounted prices with the support of Iffco and Agility.
“With so many deserving causes abroad occupying our attention, it is sometimes easy to forget that there are people in need here in the UAE, too,” said Henri Changeux, head of Carrefour for the GCC.
Carrefour’s donation initiative is now in its third year and this year’s donation has surpassed the amount raised in 2008, he added.
The brand’s community work in the UAE and other Gulf markets also includes raising environmental awareness through its popular ‘Act Green’ campaign, which encourages shoppers to replace plastics bags with reusable ones.
With 15,000 stores worldwide, Carrefour is the world’s second largest retailer and the biggest in Europe and the Gulf. It operates four main grocery store formats: hypermarkets, supermarkets, hard discounts stores and convenience stores.
Carrefour in the UAE is a joint venture between Majid Al Futtaim and Carrefour France.-TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait
- UAE clothing imports soar to $960m
- Samsung launches 2 wearable tech devices
- BlackBerry goes back to basics with new phones
- Philips rolls out new all-in-one displays
- Nokia unveils affordable smartphone range
- MAF launches new community retail concept
- Huawei unveils five new smart devices
- Sharp previews latest Intelligent Touch Board
- Fujifilm camera offers world’s fastest viewfinder