Bahrain gold industry in spotlight
Manama, June 12, 2011
More than 150 jewellers and goldsmiths attended a meeting at Beit Al Tijjar in Sanabis yesterday.
They discussed issues concerning the gold business in Bahrain following the unrest.
Three proposals were submitted to Bahrain Chamber of Commerce and Industry (BCCI) chairman Dr Essam Fakhro, urging the chamber to support the suffering industry.
Businessmen are calling for efforts to reduce Bahrainisation level from 20 per cent to 5 per cent to help revive the market as a temporary measure.
They are also urging the BCCI to take part in talks with the Manama Municipality to find an immediate solution to pending Commercial Registrations of new shops in the capital, which have been stopped by the governmental body.
BCCI gold and pearl jewellery committee head Mohammed Sajid Shaikh said the meeting also finalised a proposal to hold a jewellery exhibition for Bahrain gold next month at the Bahrain International Exhibition and Convention Centre.
'We finalised the proposal's aim and plan and submitted it to Dr Fakhro to be discussed with Industry and Commerce Minister Dr Hassan Fakhro,' he said.
'The exhibition will work as a way to promote Bahrain and its renowned gold craft.
'This in turn will revive the economy and bring tourism and investment back to the country.'-TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Al Meera opens first 24/7 mall in Qatar
- Fijitsu scanners feature PaperStream
- LG launches new tablet in UAE
- Major jewellery expo opens in Dubai
- Weber renews Carrefour UAE partnership deal
- BMMI marks ‘Quality Month’
- Philips launches Airfryer XL
- Mena online spending to hit $15bn by 2015
- China Homelife Dubai kicks off
- Acer launches new EMEA brand campaign