Abu Dhabi shuts down supermarket
Abu Dhabi, September 10, 2012
Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority (ADFCA) said it has ordered the punitive closure of a supermarket located on Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum (Airport Road) following repeated violation of food safety rules.
Hani Supermarket and Bakery was found to have violated several rules related to food safety, remarked Ahmed Abdul Karim Al Sharaf, the acting director of communication and community service at ADFCA.
"First of all, sufficient number of workers had not undergone the essential food safety training, a mandatory requirement for all food establishments in Abu Dhabi," he pointed out.
Secondly, food items were stored and prepared in improper conditions, said Al Sharaf. "Also authorities found that sweets were being prepared while cleaning and maintenance work was going on," he added.
The ADFCA chief said the inspectors were shocked to find cockroaches and insects inside the outlet. Besides, there were not sufficient number of washbasins in the shop, he stated.
"In view of all these violations, ADFCA inspectors recommended the shop be closed until the reasons of violations are corrected to comply with all the rules and regulations governing food safety in the emirate," he added.
ADFCA was set up in 2005 as an independent food regulatory agency for Abu Dhabi. It embodies the Abu Dhabi Government's commitment to protecting its consumers, particularly by ensuring the safety and quality of food served throughout the public.-TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Sennheiser unveils new microphone system
- Centrepoint opens 100th store in Dubai
- Panasonic to showcase top AV solutions in Dubai
- Alhokair eyes US, UK buys; plans debut sukuk
- 20 countries back Abu Dhabi jewellery show
- SanDisk launches 128GB memory card
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait