Emirates launches star artist hunt
Dubai, June 29, 2011
Emirates Airline has launched a contest to find the 'world’s most exciting budding artists' to do the artwork of its Skywards frequent flyer programme.
The winning work of 'Skywards Future Artists Competition 2011' will be displayed on the Skywards 2012 membership cards, said a senior company official.
“As a dynamic, growing airline with a global perspective, Emirates, through Skywards programme, wants to give artists around the world a chance to showcase their artistic vision,” says Brian LaBelle, senior VP, Skywards.
“Skywards’ members are global travellers with an eye to innovation. Skywards Future Artists Competition is the perfect link between our dedicated members and new, upcoming stars in the art world,” he remarked.
'As part of its initiative to support the arts, Skywards is searching for emerging artists; whether a young art student just entering the field or an experienced artist who has never exhibited their work, Skywards wants to give artists worldwide the opportunity to showcase their work.'
'The competition is open to all artists, regardless of medium: sculpture, photography and paintings are welcome,' he added.
Three winning entries will be chosen and the image of the selected artwork will be used on the Skywards membership cards in 2012, as well as in all supporting online and offline communications and promotional material, said LaBelle.
Each artist’s name will be displayed alongside their winning artwork. In addition to the year-long global exposure of their art on the Skywards membership cards, the three winners will receive a commission of $5000 and will be flown to Dubai, where their winning entry and design portfolio will be exhibited at the Art Dubai fair in early 2012.
Art Dubai is the leading contemporary art fair in the Mena and South Asia region and is attended by art critics, collectors and gallery owners from around the world.
Judging will be done by a panel of highly regarded industry professionals, experts, and Skywards members.
The deadline for submitting artwork is July 14, voting by Skywards members is open from August 9 to 23 and the winners will be announced in September.-TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Dubai, Abu Dhabi hotels top performance
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares
- Etihad says majority of stranded passengers sent home
- Malaysian jet search team spots 'column of smoke'
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- GCC airlines defend female cabin crew policies
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan