Hilton plans 200-room hotel in Nigeria
Dubai, September 22, 2013
Hilton Worldwide has signed an agreement with longstanding Nigeria business partner Transcorp Hotels to launch its new 200-room hotel in Lagos, the country’s commercial and cultural heartland.
The new-build Transcorp Hilton Lagos will be strategically located in the exclusive residential and commercial district of Ikoyi in Lagos. The property will enjoy close proximity to the main financial and business centres of the city as well as offer convenient access to Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos.
Patrick Fitzgibbon, senior VP, development, Hilton Worldwide, Europe & Africa said: “I am delighted to join with Transcorp Hotels, our 26-year partner at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, to introduce our famous Hilton brand to Lagos. Today is a momentous occasion as we further underpin our commitment and confidence in Nigeria and strengthen our growing hotel portfolio.”
Expected to open mid-2016, the upscale, full service Transcorp Hilton Lagos will feature a wealth of attractive facilities and conveniences designed to appeal to the growing numbers of discerning domestic, inter-regional and international business and leisure travellers seeking first classaccommodation in Lagos.
Amenities include 1000 sq m of meeting and event space, a business centre, a luxury spa and swimming pool as well as two restaurants, one to be a speciality, and two bars.
Leisure visitors will appreciate the hotel’s close proximity to Awolowo Road, the main high street of Lagos famous for designer brands, upscale boutiques and luxury outlets.
Rob Palleschi, the global head for Hilton Hotels & Resorts said: “Thanks to the popularity and profile of our hotel in Abuja, Hilton is already a celebrated hospitality brand across Nigeria’s domestic and international communities. We are confident that Transcorp Hilton Lagos will help to reinforce our reputation as the stylish, forward thinking global leader of hospitality, helping make travelling easier with our smart design, innovative restaurant concepts, authentic hospitality and commitment to the global community.”
With its abundant supply of natural resources, well-developed financial, communications and legal sectors and the second largest stock exchange on the continent, Nigeria is regarded as an economic powerhouse within Africa.
A progressive country, Nigeria is capable of reaping the benefits of its previously untapped mineral wealth for many years to come. Within Nigeria, the city of Lagos is widely regarded as the commercial and cultural centre where many of the country’s financial institutions and major corporations are headquartered.
The Ikoyi district in Lagos, is a sought-after fashionable enclave of the city’s Lagos Island with upscale shopping malls, residences and recreation areas, including one of Africa’s largest golf courses.
Valentine Ozigbo, the managing director & CEO, Transnational Hotels & Tourism Services said: “We are delighted to continue our strong and enduring relationship with Hilton Worldwide and bring another exceptional Hilton Hotels & Resorts hotel to Nigeria and to the business and leisure communities of Lagos.”
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall
- Dubai hotels welcome 11m guests
- Wyndham signs for 4th hotel in Turkey
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- IFA Hotels unveils fresh brand identity
- Turkish Airlines launches Rotterdam flights
- RJ to operate Amman-Kuwait twice daily
- JCDecaux unveils digital screens at Dubai airport
- EU awaits surge in UAE corporate travellers